Test 2 and Doc Assignment 2 Grades

On the Bill of Rights assignment, I gave grades and plus grades (A+, A, B+, B, etc.) Here’s how the grade scale worked out, approximately:

Grade Level distribution
A 10%
B 15%
C 28%
D 25%
F 22%

On the test, I gave plus and minus grades (A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, etc) which translate into a 100 point scale in my gradebook (100, 96, 92, 88, 85, 82, etc., down to 58, 55, 50 for F-level). The high score in the class was 49 out of a possible 49, not counting extra credit, so for mercy’s sake I used 48 as the 100% mark (if you’re not sure whether that helped you, just double your raw score to get your percentage score before the adjustment). The median score was roughly C-, meaning that about as many people got above a C- or above as a C- or below; the average score was a solid C- as well. The extra credit was worth up to 5⅔ points (thanks to my error): About quarter of the people who attempted extra credit got no benefit (mostly people in F-range); about a quarter went up one grade level (B to B+, etc.), about a quarter went up two grade levels (B- to B+, etc.), and about a sixth went up three grade levels (C+ to B+, etc.; One person hit the sweet spot, and actually went up four (e.g. C to B+). Here’s how the grade scale worked out:

Grade minimum points distribution
A+ 48
A 45.5 15%
A- 43
B+ 41⅓
B 39⅔ 20%
B- 38
C+ 36⅓
C 34⅔ 20%
C- 33
D+ 31⅓
D 29⅔ 12%
D- 28
F+ 26
F Below 26 33%

This is a better result than last time, but still disappointing at the low end. I’m open to suggestions as to more effective ways to review material, study methods, etc.