Midterm Results

The most popular terms were Columbian Exchange, Enlightenement and Charles Darwin. Nobody picked John Stuart Mill, which was disappointing. The high score in the class was 43.5 out of a possible 48 — pretty good for the first test, but I’ve rounded down to 43 for ease of calculation. The median score was a C+, meaning that at least half the class got a C+ or above (and half the class got a C+ or lower). Here’s how the grade scale worked out:

Grade minimum points distribution
A+ 43
A 40 10%
A- 38.7
B+ 35.5
B 31.5 30%
B- 28
C+ 24.5
C 21 40%
C- 17.5
D+ 14
D 10.5 20%
D- 7
F 0

Over the next few days I’ll put some of the 4-out-of-4 answers up here for reference.

When looking at your papers, you can ignore the little diagonal I put in the upper-left and lower-right corners of pages: that’s a note to me that there’s nothing before or after (respectively) that page which isn’t graded (just keeps me from having to flip more pages than necessary). If I underlined or circled something in one of your answers, though, it almost certainly means something you got wrong. If I put an “approximately” sign in the margin (and I do this on essays, too) — it looks like this: ≈ — that means something which is almost right, or nearly wrong; questionable, in other words.

While I’m giving you grade charts, here’s the distribution from the first article review.

Grade Level distribution
A-level 3%
B-level 33%
C-level 27%
D-level 30%
F 7%

The median grade was a C. Given both of these sets of numbers, you should be able to tell more or less how you’re doing relative to your classmates.

Note: if you did not take the midterm, and did not hand in an article review, you may be dropped from the course. (If you don’t want to be dropped, contact me immediately) If you did only one or the other, I will not drop you, but you might want to consider whether you’re going to finish well. If you have questions about your grade, feel free to contact me. The deadline to drop with a W is Friday.